Sunday, May 10, 2009

Bloom where you are planted!

Happy Mother's day to all!

"Bloom where you are planted" was the sermon today and also the title of my friend Karen's blog. It is a great reminder to live in the moment and season God has for me. As I pondered the sermon, I realized that unintentionally I often am always looking ahead or wanting things to be slightly different. I have always been this way, but there is something about parenting that makes you slow down a bit. Children have a way of letting you know real fast that to bloom you need cultivation, love, and nurturing. I was reminded of that all day today. I have never been a gardner nor liked planting things. The times I have tried, i have failed miserably (i.e. everything dies under my care). So thus, this is a lesson God continues to teach me in my own life and family. The Israelites longed to be out of captivity, but God wanted them to be salt in captivity and call to HIm for strength and help exactly where they were placed for a season. Lord let me be salt in my season and content with where I am where you have blessed me and miraculously placed me. I am so blessed and so thankful everyday for my family and being a mother. Even on trying days I am thankful. God has given me a vibrant, energetic, strong-willed but soft hearted son. Some days, I continually question how I am going to teach him the things he must learn to at the least stay alive and at the greatest love and serve the Lord all his days. This is the most important job I will ever do, but as my over analytical and self critical mind tries to take over-- I hear the whisper of God saying "it is not by your strength but mine, you can not do this without me. Trust in me for all your needs. Rest in me and I will uphold you and teach you through the struggles. And when you don't know what to do--always, always turn to me." Let me listen to that whisper!

As i think about the stage Luke is in-- a 15 month old extremely mobile toddler with no comprehension of danger or listening. I am reminded that I must, MUST rely on the Lord. We are born in sin and just as Luke shows me every day. He wants his own way all the time. When I try to keep him safe his new response has been kicking, screaming, and twisting his entire body in utter protest. As I look around at other boys his age, I often see calm, relaxed little boys snuggling in there mommies arms. Yes I do have those times as well, but Luke is a free spirit, independent, strong willed little boy. I imagine people are thinking "get that kid under control" and I often am plagued with how I am going to teach him! And then God sends me beautiful moments through this little boy. His soft heart comes through and I see a desire to please. I treasure those moments and know that God is drawing him and will continue to draw him through prayer and consistent love and discipline to Himself. I hope I have enough energy to last. My greatest desire is to shepherd Luke's heart! Today of all days, Mother's Day, let me be reminded and renewed of this awesome task and approach everyday with the dedication and strength that I need--praying that God will supply those needs for me and for my family.

My two boys!

2 comments:

Emily said...

ditto, girl!! weston was/is the same as luke growing. not a snuggler, b/c he was too busy exploring the world. i wondered if he would ever slow down! well, he is still just as energetic, but now i am starting to see his tender heart for the LORD and for others. his hugs are precious and becoming more abundant as he gets older (surprisingly enough:). enjoy these last few months with just luke before lydia comes. it will never be this easy again!

Nikki said...

You're a fabulous mommy, my dear... Luke -- and Lydia -- are blessed. :)